Air Canada and Aeroplan are putting out a series of exciting Black Friday 2022 deals and promotions to coincide with the buying frenzy of the next few weeks.
This year, there’s a fun “Choose Your Bonus” event, up to 20x points on the Aeroplan eStore, 3x bonus points on Air Canada gift cards, and many more ways to maximize Aeroplan points as you plan out your shopping sprees and travel itineraries.
Let’s take a look across everything that’s on offer.
Choose Your Own Black Friday Bonus
The flagship Black Friday offer this year is known as “Choose Your Bonus and Stock Up on Points”, offering each Aeroplan member the choice of one of three offers:
- Earn 50% bonus points on Economy fares when booking a flight or vacation package.
- Earn 100% bonus points on Premium Economy and Business Class fares when booking a flight or vacation package.
- Get 5% or a minimum of 1,000 and up to 25,000 points back on eligible flight redemptions.
All three of the potential promotions apply to travel on Air Canada flights booked by November 27, 2022, and completed by June 30, 2023.
You’ll want to visit the Air Canada Black Friday landing page to register for your choice of the three offers. Once you’ve picked one of the three promotions, you won’t be able to change your choice, so make sure to pick carefully.
Which offer should you choose? Clearly, that would depend on your prevailing travel plans for the remainder of 2022 and the first half of 2023.
Either of the first two offers could be attractive if you see yourself buying Air Canada flights in economy class or a higher class of service, respectively; meanwhile, the third offer would be your best bet if you’re leaning towards redeeming Aeroplan points for your flights instead.
(Note that the 5% back promotion only applies to Aeroplan reward tickets that consist exclusively of Air Canada flights. This is unlike TD 20% back and American Express 25% back promotions we’ve seen over the past year, which applied to all Aeroplan reward tickets.)
Up to 10x Points on the Aeroplan eStore + 10x Points with an Aeroplan Credit Card
Until November 29, 2022, the Aeroplan eStore will be putting on elevated bonuses, with select retailers like Dyson and Adidas going as high as 10x points.
But here’s the new spin on this year’s Black Friday eStore promotion: from November 24 to November 29, you’ll also earn an extra 10 Aeroplan points per dollar spent on any purchase made through the eStore when you register and pay with an Aeroplan co-branded credit card!
And remember, if you have Aeroplan Elite Status of any tier from 25K status upwards, you’ll also earn a further 2 bonus Aeroplan points on eStore purchases as an elite benefit.
This means you could be earning up to 23.25x Aeroplan points on your eStore purchases between November 24–29:
- Up to 10x points from shopping through the eStore
- 10x bonus points by paying with an Aeroplan credit card
- 2x bonus points as an Aeroplan Elite Status benefit
- Up to 1.25x points as the base earning rate on an Aeroplan premium credit card
At our current valuation of 2.1 cents per point, a 23.25x earning rate is equivalent to getting a 48.8% return on your holiday shopping – you’ll be getting virtually half of your holiday spending back in value!
And if you’re making a late push for earning Aeroplan 25K status via Everyday Status Qualification, there’s no better way to boost your progress towards the 100,000-point threshold than a juiced-up earning rate of up to 21.25x.
In addition to bonus Aeroplan points when making purchases, there are also Black Friday discounts when you redeem Aeroplan points for select home entertainment products on the eStore catalogue.
However, keep in mind that this still represents fairly poor value for your points compared to booking flights, so I wouldn’t place too much weight on it.
3x Points on Air Canada Gift Cards
Until November 28, 2022, you’ll earn up to 3x Aeroplan points if you purchase an Air Canada gift card for upcoming travel:
- You’ll earn 1x Aeroplan points if you purchase up to $750 worth of gift cards
- You’ll earn 3x Aeroplan points if you purchase $751+ worth of gift cards
Of course, by paying with an Aeroplan co-branded credit card, you’ll again have the possibility of earning up to 4.25x Aeroplan points on these Air Canada gift card purchases.
If you’re planning to book upcoming paid travel with Air Canada, purchasing a gift card and then using it as your method of payment can help you earn additional Aeroplan points. However, keep in mind the following:
- Air Canada gift cards are processed and distributed by Buyatab Online Inc., so they don’t code as an airline or travel purchase on your credit card.
- Using Air Canada gift cards to pay for your flight means that you won’t be able to benefit from any insurance protections that you would get if you had paid with an Aeroplan credit card instead.
You can also use gift cards towards the taxes and fees when redeeming Aeroplan points too, simply by choosing the “Use Gift Card” option on the payment page.
Discounts & Bonuses on Hotels, Car Rentals, and More
In addition, we’re also seeing a handful of miscellaneous discounts on Air Canada flights, vacation packages, hotels and car rentals, and other minor promotions that are similar to what we’ve seen in Black Fridays past:
- Buy or gift Aeroplan points with a 105%, 110%, or 115% bonus, until November 28, 2022
- Get 25% points back on an Aeroplan HotelSavers redemption, until December 23, 2022
- Get up to 40% off Air Canada Vacations packages to Canada, USA, Europe, and Sun destinations
Until November 28, 2022, earn up to 1,500 bonus Aeroplan points and get up to 30% off base rates when you book North American car rentals with Avis or Budget.
- Until November 28, 2022, save 15% when you book your next car rental of three days or more using Aeroplan points.
- Purchase any hot latte using your linked Aeroplan and Starbucks Rewards accounts and earn 15 bonus points, until November 28, 2022.
- Until December 3, 2022, earn 100 bonus points when you spend $75 or more on Italian wines in LCBO stores or 150 bonus points when you spend $75 online.
- Create an Uber Eats account, link with Aeroplan, and earn 2,000 Aeroplan points on eligible food orders of $25 or more. Plus, earn 1,000 points as a new Uber Eats member when you join by November 28, 2022.
- Until November 28, 2022, earn 2,000 Aeroplan points when you create an Uber account, link with Aeroplan and take your first ride with Uber. Plus, earn 1,000 points as a new Uber rider.
Aeroplan’s Black Friday 2022 promotions are now live, with quite a few exciting offers in the mix.
As part of the new “choose your own adventure” Black Friday offer, you’ll be able to select between earning 50% bonus points on economy class flights, 100% bonus points on premium economy or business class bookings, or getting 5% Aeroplan points back for any Air Canada flights that you take through June 2023.
In addition, we’re also seeing an incredible 10x bonus Aeroplan points on eStore purchases when using an Aeroplan co-branded credit card on November 24–29, which combines with the eStore’s organic promotions of up to 10x points to make for some supercharged earning potential on your holiday shopping.