Maura Higgins shares her experience with toxic shock syndrome



Maura Higgins has opened up about her life-threatening experience with toxic shock syndrome.

The reality star revealed that she had a tampon stuck inside her for three months unbeknownst to her.

Toxic shock syndrome is quite rare, however, it can be a life-threatening condition as it causes bacteria to get into the body and release harmful toxins.

She confessed that she had a “very bad experience” with the syndrome and is hopeful of raising more awareness on the issue.

Appearing on Shopping with Keith Lemon, she explained: “I did have a very bad experience. I’m not a doctor, I don’t know much about that it, but I know you are not meant to leave a tampon inside for more than, I think it’s nine hours, I think that’s the max.

“There was a tampon inside me for three months. When the doctor found it, it was stuck to my cervix. And I was so ill. I did not know what was going on. There were people that have died from that happening.“

She continued: “Young girls might not have noticed, like you go on a night out, what if you got really drunk and forgot, like, these things actually do happen, and people don’t speak about it.


“I remember even being in school, I used to get my tampon out the bag, push it up my sleeve and then go to the toilet like that… thinking back, why was I doing that? It’s nothing to be ashamed about, that’s why I think it’s an important topic isn’t it?”

It certainly is an important issue and we’re glad Maura is raising awareness around it.


Source link

What is your reaction?

In Love
Not Sure

You may also like

Comments are closed.